LETS GO FOR A WALK
DUBLIN | PARHAM | WINDSOR

DUBLIN SCHOOL
       

MAP 

A school and residence were built at Dublin in 1881.


The school was classed as a" Provisional". 25 children were instructed during that year - the school was open 54 days, and the teacher was William Moore.
In 1882, it was classed as a "Public School". There were 48 pupils and the teacher was William Hayes.
Combined Sports Days were held against Windsor and Long Plains schools at Port Parham for many years until 1968 when they were held at the Dublin oval. The Shield from this was given to the Dublin Institute Committee to be kept in the Institute at all times and is not to leave to area.
The old school clock, which was made around 1900, has been faithfully restored by Richard Norris, an old student, and he has donated it to the community to be kept in the Dublin Institute. The clock now hangs in the main hall above the stage and still works perfectly.
The school was very well equipped due to the efforts of the Welfare Club and School Committee. The school held fetes in the institute to raise funds. From the beginning, the school Break Up Concerts were of great enjoyment for all ages.
In 1971, the school, along with Windsor and Long Plains, was closed. The parents on the School Committee and the Welfare Club fought very hard to stop this from happening but were unable to do so.
The children now go to Mallala Primary and Balaklava High schools by bus each day.

In 1954 a rose garden was made to commemorate the visit of the Queen to South Australia.
In August, 1954, the Dublin C.W.A. presented books to the value of 9/1/0 to the school, these were presented by Mrs. P.Barnes.
In October, 1955, it was decided to purchase two prints, one of
the Queen in the Abbey and one of the Queen and the Duke.
In March, 1955, a second teacher was installed, a Miss Dawn Harvey, but she was to leave in May due to ill health.
Swimming lessons were held at Port Wakefield in 1956.
In May, 1956, five old scholars or parents of old scholars, presented a set of encyclopaedias to the school. They were Messrs. S. West, L, Thompson, S. Thompson, H. Schlodder, and W. Bubner.
An Area School was first discussed for Mallala in 1956.
A cricket pitch was laid in the school paddock on the 4th October, 1957.
The school was converted to a private residence 11th November 1983

Dublin School Teachers
Moore, William 1881
Hayes, William 1882
Johnson, John F. 1/1/83-31/12/91
McCaffrey, Bernard A. 1/1/92-22/5/92
Burnett, Constance M. 23/5/92-31/12/92
Luke, William 1.1/93-2/6/95
Sandercock A.M. 3/6/95 - 31/12/97
Von Nida, L. 1/1/98-15/9/98
Frances, P.W. 26/9/98-14/4/1900
Parnell, R.M. 15/4/1900- 6/411902
Sunman, M.A.C. 7/4/02-25/11/08
Garret, M. 26/11/08-31/12/08
Patterson, E. 1/1/09-31/12/16
Roberts, H.E. 1/1/17-31/12/33
Shaply, E.R. 1/1/34-31/12/35
Judd, R.W. 1/1136-31/12/41
Ewers, W. D. 1/1/42-26/3/44
Griggs, E.R. 27/3/44-12/6/50
McRostie, K. H. 13/6/50-31/12/53
Salter, J.E. 1/1/54-27/5/57
Cullen, B.C. 28/5/57-31/12/60
Reskie, T.N. 1/1/61-31/12/64
Gross, R. E. 1/1/65-31/12/65
Cox, W.D. 1/1/66-31/12/68
Vaughan, P.W. 1/1/69- 31/12/71

The school was then closed.
Sold to private residance 11th November 1983
Some information on the school , taken from the School Committee book 1946 - 1950.

       
       
       
       
       
       

DUBLIN | PARHAM | WINDSOR