|
PARHAM STREET WALK |
| |
| |
Print
the Walk
1.
Interpretive
Center |

The Parham Interpretive Centre is a tourist facility located at the
entry to the township of Parham (also known as Port Parham) in South
Australia. It provides visitors with information regarding the region's
history, natural environment, and unique local inventions.
|
MAP
|
| |
|
Port Parham Sports and Social Club came into being c1984 as a successor
to the Progress Association, and the Progress Association funded the
first part of the building of the club which was completed in 1990.
The PPSSC has continued many of the activities established by the Progress
Association. The facility has grown over the years to have a separate
bar and beer garden. Open on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
evenings with bar facilities and meals available.
In 1995 a Remembrance Flagpole was erected in front of the Social Club
and commemoration services are held there every year on Anzac and Remembrance
Days.
|
PRINT
THIS PAGE |
| |
The
Esplanade |
|
| |
|
Lot 60 Wheat
buyers house, built 1880s, owned in 1950s by Dave Magery, Bennett and
Fisher agent at Mallala. Dave was a keen fisherman, had one of the few
private power boats in the area which he launched with a jacked up 1920’s
Chevrolet chassis.This house was not rented out but may have been in
earlier days. Demolished and replaced about 2014
Lot 62 Nairnes
house “the house with the veranda all around” Nairnes came
from Nairne Road Grace Plains, and Fred Nairne died in WW1 as a POW
in Germany. Grace Plains and Mallala have memorials. The house was used
for lunches at School Sports days and Sunday School picnics. It was
rented out and often occupied by the Jenkin family (photos and newspaper
articles in 1920’s). Thought to be built about 2010. Memories
are of a galvanised iron hip bath, an ice chest replenished with ice
by someone from Dublin, and a 3 hole long drop toilet (Dad, Mum and
Kids seats at different heights).
|
|
FIRST
STREET |
| |
5 |
70: The Webb Family home built c1924 by Theodore Greue and
occupied from 1933 by Albert Webb and family until sold in 1977 to Kevin
and Marylin Collins. This is a quality stone home and the foundation
on 60 The Esplanade was to the same design and intended to replicate
the building but was never used. The rear of this property (3 First
Street) had a truck shed which had been converted to rental accommodation
by 1950. This now forms the central part of the residence at 3 First
St. Between the main house and the shed was a Kiosk operated by the
Harris (nee Webb) family of Dublin in the 1950’s. (photo sought!)
In the 1950’s there was also a well for watering horses. The water
was brackish but the horses would drink it.
|
|
| |
6 |
72/74
was subdivided in 1953. Prior to this in about 1950 two tramcars were
placed on site by a Mr McMillan to create the basis of a home. They
proved to be incompatible for the purpose and one was relocated to 6
Primer Street where it still exists. The remainder forms the basis of
the Tram Shack at 74 The Esplanade. Grain was carted through what is
now 72 The Esplanade in early days by horse wagon resulting in the soil
being very compressed. 72 was first built on in about 1957. Mervin Jenkin
purchased no 74 in 1953 and built the tram into a home.
|
|
| |
7 |
76/78 The Shack was vacant in the 1950s apart from a public
toilet facing the Esplanade. This was a corrugated iron long drop. The
first building on this block was an Ex Mallala Airodrome Married quarters
placed there c1964 by the Jenkins Brothers who had inherited the property
through the Forster family, storekeepers, of Wasleys who had owned the
land since 1896. Alvin and Sylvia Jenkin now occupy this property (The
Shack) in a home built in 2007.
|
|
| |
8 |
80 Parkin’s Shack. In 1950s this was a shack constructed
of flattened petrol tins with tilt out panels for windows. The Parkin
Family used it exclusively. No other provenance known. The building
has been rebuilt on the same footprint with bricks but still looks similar
to the 1950s
|
|
| |
MAIN
STREET |
|
| |
9 |
Churches
were active in the last half of the 20th Century. The Methodist Church
in Mallala built a hall in Second Street in the late 1950’s and
ran beach missions in the summer holidays which entertained the young
people. Evening services were also held in season. St Malachy Catholic
Church in Mallala established a facility at 14 Main Street in a transportable
home relocated from Salisbury, and this operated from the mid 1960s
to about 1990. The Lutheran Church met at the residence of Noel Schiller
in 3 First Street for several years from 1980
|
|
| |
10
CAMP GROUND
|
The Parham
Camping Ground, (124 The Esplanade), provides a different alternative
to camping. The campground is located at the northern end of the township
of Parham. It is a great place to overnight when travelling to and
from Adelaide along the Port Wakefield Highway, or to spend a few
days holidaying in the area, enjoying opportunities to rake for blue
crabs, observe the fantastic sunsets, and meet up with the local community.
It forms a good base for day trips to the Barossa or Clare Valleys,
or to observe events at the Mallala Raceway, or to take in the rural
attractions of the Adelaide Plains.
The camping ground offers over 27 individual non powered Recreation
Vehicle sites including 7 sites for large RVs. All sites are numbered
and you will be allocated a site
when booking. There are also 4 tent sites together with 6 powered
sites totalling 33 sites altogether and free BBQ facilities, coin
operated showers, and a RV dump point are also available.
|
|
| |
|
|
|