MALLALA MUSEUM

HOME | PLACES | PEOPLE | EVENTS | ORGANISATIONS | COLLECTION | LINKS | ABOUT |SALES | RESEARCH CENTRE | DOWNLOADS

ORGANISATIONS
   Algar's Bakery Shop   Fast Facts
Type of organisation: Business Street number: 5
Street name: Wasleys
Street suffix:
Road Town or locality: Mallala
Date established: 1933
Ceased operation: 1979 Established by: Weatherill Arthur
     
 
 In 1933 Mr Arthur Weatherill built the Bakery shop at 5 Wasleys Road.

The shop was managed by Arthur's daughter Doreen, and her husband Ted Algar. Mr & Mrs Algar later purchased the business and house.

In 1941 the RAAF Training Base had been established at Mallala and the Algars could see the need for bigger premises, and so the Bakery Shop was renovated.

The adjoining Billiard Saloon of Mr Weatherill was demolished, and a new shop was built on the site accessible to the Bakery Shop.

It opened as a 'Tea Room' serving morning and afternoon teas and light luncheons. It provided a place for servicemen and their wives and friends to relax and socialise away from the base.

The years were busy for the Algar family and staff as the bakery provided bread, pies and pasties etc. to the RAAF station to cater for the 2,000 personnel.

The bakery supplied 72 dozen pies and pasties daily, plus 100 dozen pastries were sold by a vendor at the main entrance gate each evening.

The Tea Rooms closed c. 1946, and the Algar family relinquished the Bakery Shop in 1979 when it was offered for lease and eventually sold in 1989.

Various leasees operated a Takeaway / Deli on these premises. with the business premises and adjoining house owned by Mr & Mrs Ray Coleman. Today the business continues to thrive as Bellies takeaway.

 
   
   
   
         

HOME | PLACES | PEOPLE | EVENTS | ORGANISATIONS | COLLECTION | LINKS | ABOUT |SALES | RESEARCH CENTRE | DOWNLOADS

©MALLALA MUSEUM 2026
HOSTED BY MICRON21